You might be eligible for the Veterans Choice Program and now have the option of bariatric or general surgery from the region’s best: Roller Weight Loss & Advanced Surgery. The VA launched the Choice Program Nov. 5, 2014 as part of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (VACAA). This program gives eligible veterans the option to receive health care from providers in their communities. To get started, call 1-866-606-8198. VA will work with you to determine your eligibility, and if you are eligible to ensure you are approved for care in your community and schedule you with a local care provider.
If you meet any of the criteria below, all you need to do is tell your current VA physician you would like a referral to Roller Weight Loss & Advanced Surgery. Patients and their families need to be aware they are the ones who will need to ask their doctor for the referral.
The Department of Veterans Affairs sent all Veterans a Choice Card. If your eligibility for this new program is verified, the Choice Card provides you with flexibility in meeting your health care needs. Please note the Choice Card does not replace the identification card you already use to access other VA benefits. You might be eligible for the Choice Program if:
- You are told by your local VA medical facility they will not be able to schedule an appointment for care:
- Within 30 days of the date your provider determines you need to be seen; or
- Within 30 days of the date you wish to be seen if there is no specific date from your provider.
- You need to travel by plane or boat to the VA medical facility closest to your home.
- You face an unusual or excessive burden in traveling to the closest VA medical facility based on geographic challenges, environmental factors or a medical condition. Staff at your local VA medical facility will work with you to determine you are eligible for any of these reasons.
- You are told your current residence is more than 40 miles driving distance from the closest VA medical facility (including community-based outpatient clinics) that have a full-time primary care physician.
- To find out if you are eligible for the Choice Program, call 1-866-606-8198. We are excited for the opportunity to offer our veterans exceptional quality of care for both weight loss surgery and general surgery.